I’m looking forward to 2022. Certainly things have changed. The new normal isn’t very normal at all but at least there still is a normal.
Plans for the year include being with my family, cooking more (the Milk Street subscription is helping with this), working on the house, learning more, and sharing more.
Some future posts for this site will include font creation, app creation, thoughts, ideas, and hopefully much more. Come back or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org if you’d like to be regularly updated on what’s going on in my world.
Here’s some articles I read that I thought were helpful/interesting.
I’ve recently changed the habit of creating the perfect to-do list first thing in the morning. Now I start my day with a book that I want to read.
After visiting https://lawsofux.com/ I’m going to purchase Laws of UX: Using Psychology to Design Better Products & Services. Which is the book written by the developer of the website.
Just because you understand what your colors signify doesn’t mean the people using your interface do. Use a legend for colors that present information.
I love it when people share their decision-making process for design, artwork, or anything really. Frank Chimero recently did a wonderful redesign of his website where he documentated the process of his work. I figure I could do the same but add my own twist.
Here’s some additional sources of inspiration for me.
- I’ve always been a huge fan of the way Jason Santa Maria art directs his posts.
- Grid Systems by Kimberley Elam is going to be sourced for the layout.
- There are so many typography resources I really don’t know where to start. I think I’ll revisit the MyFonts Newsletter, Typewolf, and Hoefler&Co.
- Maybe for colors I’ll checkout Pantone and Kuler, but my heart is saying to use a muted version of Solarized for a base light and base dark color scheme. That doesn’t really work well for art directing each page. Still figuring this out.
- I need to figure out what coding libraries I’m going to use. Tailwind, Angular, React, Bootstrap, maybe none.
- Other topics of interest for me are where could I use animation, what can I offer users my site, how can I help people, what’s the best way to send updates, should I have an intro page, do I need a style guide, do I need a component library?
Hopefully this gets me on more of a roll with publishing to my site. I’ve had it for 16 years. It’s time.